DOH alarmed over high cases of measles in Region 9

ZAMBOANGA CITY — The Department of Health (DOH) has expressed apprehension cases of measles in the region might continue to increase due to the refusal of several parents to allow their children to be immunized.

Dr. Cheryl Rebollos Sarmiento, DOH regional family health cluster, told the Philippine News Agency the refusal of the parents was caused by the Dengvaxia scare.

Sarmiento said they have recorded 499 cases of measles since January in the entire Region 9.

Of the total, Sarmiento said Zamboanga City registered the highest cases with 257, followed by Zamboanga del Norte, 74; Zamboanga Sibugay, 57; Zamboanga del Sur, 56; and, Isabela City, 55.

She disclosed that the recorded four deaths are all from Zamboanga City.

She said many individuals, be they adult or children, could be infected if they are not immunized since measles spread fast from one person to the other.

She disclosed that measles outbreak had been declared in this city and in Isabela City and respond immunization is ongoing.

The respond immunization, which started February 19, is set to end March 23. To be immunized with Measles Rubella vaccine are children aged six to eight months old while children nine months to four years old with Measles, Mumps and Rubbella. (PNA)