DavOr execs urged to improve services

Davao Oriental Governor Nelson Dayanghirang (File Photo)

Davao Oriental Governor Nelson Dayanghirang has called on local leaders to relentlessly pursue improvement of services and development for the people.

This, after the provincial government declared the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) persona non grata, citing its presence as a threat to the province and its residents.

Dayanghirang, who led the signing of the resolution of the Provincial Peace and Order Council declaring CPP-NPA “persona non grata” anywhere in Davao Oriental, said the province has been putting efforts to eliminate the problems of communist insurgency.

“It is imperative that these should be felt in your area of responsibilities. With governance felt on the ground, we can perhaps abate if not eliminate presence of the left,” the governor told local leaders.

Provincial information officer Karen Lou Deloso said the resolution was also signed by (1st District) Rep. Corazon N. Malanyaon, Liga ng mga Barangay President and Board Member Rustan Castillones, and all 10 municipal mayors of this province, in a peace and order meeting last week.

Deloso said the governor has emphasized the importance of the involvement of local chief executives in effectively preventing and suppressing criminality.

Deloso said the resolution was issued in support of President Rodrigo Duterte’s Executive Order No. 70 which calls for a whole-of-nation approach in ending local communist armed conflict.

Maj. Gen. Felimon Santos Jr., commander of the Eastern Mindanao Command (Eastmincom), said Saturday it is high time for the NPA to heed the call of the people because they are already tired of coercion and intimidation by the insurgents.

Santos said more and more communities and LGUs are declaring the NPA “persona non grata” in their respective communities.

“The people believe in the government’s resolve to address their issues and concern and socio-economic changes that are being pushed and they do not want this to be hampered and stalled,” Santos said.

The Eastmincom reported that the latest villages which declared the CPP-NPA as persona non grata include Barangays Caburacanan, St. Peter, Silae and Indalasa of Malaybalay and Barangay Canangaan, Freedom and Dalacutan of Cabanglasan, all of Bukidnon province; the villages Camam-onan and Gigaquit in Surigao del Norte; Compostela Valley province; and, the 21 barangays in Malaybalay, Bukidnon and the Municipality of Sibagat, Agusan Sur.

“This is a good development which shows that the communities are prepared and willing to participate in the implementation of Executive Order 70, particularly in the implementation of the cultural, socio-economic programs of the government,” Santos said. (PNA)