6 confirmed dead in Bangkal LPG explosion

CAUSE DETERMINED. Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) 11 spokesperson Inspector Patricio Brananola says electrical short circuit was the cause of fire at the house of Tourism assistant secretary Eden Josephine David during yesterday’s AFP-PNP Press Corps at The Royal Mandaya Hotel. David’s nine-year old son, a house help and a houseboy were killed during the said incident. LEAN DAVAL JR.
CAUSE DETERMINED. Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) 11 spokesperson Inspector Patricio Brananola says electrical short circuit was the cause of fire at the house of Tourism assistant secretary Eden Josephine David during yesterday’s AFP-PNP Press Corps at The Royal Mandaya Hotel. David’s nine-year old son, a house help and a houseboy were killed during the said incident. LEAN DAVAL JR.

Six out of seven members of a family who were injured when an LPG tank exploded inside a warehouse in Bangkal on April 11 all succumbed to severe burns, leaving only one family member fighting for her life at the Southern Philippines Medical Center.

All the victims died of severe third-degree burns, according to Fire Inspector Patricio Brananola of the Bureau of Fire Protection.

The BFP officer identified the victims as Cristito Fuerte, the father of the family and caretaker of the establishment. He died at 7:00 in the morning of April 18. His children Christy, Crystal, Christine, Crisito, Jr. and a seven-month old unborn baby all died just hours after the fire. April Joy, Fuerte’s common-law wife, is currently in a critical state at the hospital.

During a press conference on Wednesday, Fire Inspector Brananola said investigations showed that the point of origin of the fire was inside the Gas Petronas warehouse, most likely caused by gas leakage. Estimated damage of the said property was placed at P1Million.

Among other establishments near the LPG warehouse that were damaged were three videoke bar houses (After Six, Chocomilky and Suileta Videoke Bar), another warehouse and an office space rented by Warehouse and Office of GTI Armory.

It can be recalled that on April 11, at about 10:10 in the evening, a fire exploded coming from Petronas Gas Tank located at Km.7, Bangkal, Davao City and was declared under control at about 11:40 in the evening.

Rescuers immediately rushed the victims to the hospital where the couple’s children died one after the other.

SHARE