City building officials probed for fire liability

ONGOING PROBE.Inter-Agency Anti-Arson Task Force spokesperson Senior Superintendent Jerry Candido provides updates on last month’s NCCC fire including investigation involving some personnel of the Davao City Office of the Building Official who issued electrical permit to the shopping mall as cause of the fire was electrical short-circuit. Candido graced this week’s edition of AFP-PNP Press Corps media forum at The Royal Mandaya Hotel. LEAN DAVAL JR.
ONGOING PROBE.Inter-Agency Anti-Arson Task Force spokesperson Senior Superintendent Jerry Candido provides updates on last month’s NCCC fire including investigation involving some personnel of the Davao City Office of the Building Official who issued electrical permit to the shopping mall as cause of the fire was electrical short-circuit. Candido graced this week’s edition of AFP-PNP Press Corps media forum at The Royal Mandaya Hotel. LEAN DAVAL JR.

The Inter-Agency Anti-Arson Task Group has shifted its investigation on some personnel of the Davao City Building Office who had a hand in the issuance of an electrical permit to NCCC Mall.

Fire Sr. Supt. Jerome Candido revealed this on on Wednesday’s AFP-PNP Press Corps media briefing, saying the investigating team wanted to take a look at the electrical permit issued to the mall.

He said this was necessary because the cause of fire in the building was electrical short-circuit.

He said the permit usually is issued under the electrical division of the said office.

“We found out that there is something wrong with the electrical installation which is a violation of our Philippine Electrical Code,” Candido said.

Candido said before the Bureau of Fire Protection will conduct a fire safety inspection, they will ask for certificate of completion from the City Building Official which includes the electrical permit.

He explained that the fire safety inspection will dwell on the fire safety requirements such as the fire exits and fire suppression systems which are stipulated under the Fire Code.

Candido explained after the BFP conducted the inspection, the agency will issue a fire safety inspection certificate which will be one of the requirements for the issuance of certificate of occupancy and permit to operate.

He said, earlier, the investigating team found screws and nails on the galvanized tray which the team believed that this caused the short circuit.

Candido said these sharp things destroyed the insulation of the electric wires, and then the two wires stick together which became the reason of the short circuit.

He said the destruction of the insulators on electrical wire happened because of the practice of its contractor nailing the galvanized trays. “Candido said the practice of the contractors has been seen in other parts of the mall since there are holes on the trays.