Tourist arrivals in Davao City reached a total of 166, 451 for the first quarter (Q1) of this year (January to March), indicating an increase of 88.40 percent compared to 147,126 in the same period in 2016.
In a data given by City Tourism Operations Office (CTOO), domestic travelers totaled 153,844, an 87 percent increase as compared to 2016’s Q1 data at 135,032.
However overseas or “Balikbayan” posted a slight decrease of 16 percent with 2,186 in Q1 of 2017 as against last year’s 2,610 arrivals.
The tourist arrivals from foreign visitors, leaped 91 percent with 10, 421 as compared to last year’s record of 9,484.
Meanwhile, Tecson bared that licensed tourism establishments recorded a 76.19 percent (P500,000) increase on the generated income with P2.1 million as of Q1, compared to P1.6 million during the same period in 2016.
“The increase could still be attributed to President Rodrigo Duterte, and to the people who want to see what Davao City has to offer,” said City Tourism Officer Generose Tecson during an interview on Wednesday.
Tecson also pointed out the strong partnership between the local government and the private sector in coming up with initiatives to attract tourists such as the Visit Davao Fun Sale, the biggest tourism event in the region now on its 4th year with a huge selection of events and activities every summer featuring offerings in airfare, accommodations, tours, dining, shopping, beauty and wellness, as well as sporting events, arts and nightlife.
“Mayor Sara has been very supportive of the Visit Davao Fun Sale because she has seen that the event really has brought an increase in the tourist rate every April and May,” said Tecson.
The City Tourism Officer noted that in spite of this development, the city is still in need of around 9000 rooms and more two to three-star hotels to accommodate tourists coming to the city.