Get out or get hurt, residents in landslide-prone areas told

Despite urgent warning to evacuate due to risks of landslides, some residents in hazard-prone areas in the city continue to defy the order of Mayor Sara Duterte.

Lyndon Ancajas, administrative training chief of City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (CDRRMC), told media during the weekly I Speak forum that Mayor Duterte has ordered the re-assessment of the landslide prone areas especially in the Juario Compound in Ma-a, old smokey mountain in Matina Pangi, and Purok Damayan in Buhangin to safeguard the lives of Davaoenos during Tuesday’s CDRRMC meeting.

According to Ancajas, they have recommended immediate relocation for those residents living in landslide prone areas particularly in Juario Compound in Ma-a.

“We are recommending for them to be relocated because I personally went to one of those areas and I realized that people need to be relocated because the area is hazard prone and we don’t know when the next earthquake or even strong rain it might trigger landslide so Mas maayong I-relocate na sila,” said Ancajas.

Residents in Juario Compound, according to Ancajas, were advised to relocate but some of the residents resisted.

“It’s the same as advising them whenever there is flashflood wherein we conduct pre-emptive evacuation. Mao to gibuhat sa ilaha kay naa na boulders ug cracks possible mahulog so we advised them to evacuate and relocate muna. Naay uban mituo, naa pud nag resist that is why gipa-reassess ni Mayor ang area with the CEO, building officials and MGB Mines and Geoscience Bureau for immediate recommendations and actions kay murag gahi ug ulo ang uban,” he said.

The City Engineers Office (CEO) led the inspection of these areas together with the building officials and the Mines and Geosciences Bureau. These agencies also conduct inspection of the buildings in the city being recommended for condemnation.

“For buildings declared for condemnation, we are still awaiting for the list so far being publicized was Palmetto other than that we are still awaiting for the CEO and building official to do the final inspection,” Ancajas said adding that they have requested a copy of the list of every building and are expecting to receive the list this week.

Duterte also ordered the Department of Education (Deped) regional office to inspect school buildings for cracks to ensure safety of the students.

“Actually Naga-assess na sila unya linugon man gud ug usab so balikan na pud Nila tong na agian Nila. Supposedly naa ta’y time frame last week pero nahitabo tong sunod sunod na linog so balikan na pud nila,” he said.

Meantime, Ancajas affirmed there are no new fault lines found in Davao City.

“We still have the five existing fault lines and no new fault lines so far discovered. An active fault line only present itself. We don’t know Kung naa fault line diha pero dili siya active. An active fault line is described as a fault line that produce earthquake in the last thousand years in the time frame ma consider siya as active fault, ” he said.

Ancajas cited existing fault lines namely Lacson fault which affects Calinan area, Tamugan fault which may affect Barangay Tamugan up to Toril area, New Carmen fault which affects the Tugbok area, the Colosas fault which is found in Paquibato district, the Dacudao fault which affects from Tugbok to Calinan areas, and the Biao Eskwela fault in Tugbok district.