NEW PORK BAN

City bans entry of live hogs, meat products from DavOcc, DavSur

Entry of live hogs and meat products from Davao Occidental and Davao del Sur has been banned in Davao City after the Department of Agriculture (DA) confirmed an outbreak of the deadly African swine fever (ASF) virus in the town of Don Marcelino in Davao Occidental.

Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio issued the ban on transporting live pigs and pork products from the two provinces affected by ASF.

“Dunay nakita nga mga baboy na nag-positive sa ASF sa Davao Occidental ug dili nata naga-pasulod ug baboy na hayop gikan sa Davao occidental,” Mayor Duterte said.

Mayor Duterte extended the ban to Davao del Sur after an unconfirmed case of ASF was also reported. The test results will be available two to three days.   “Giapil na nato ang Davao del Sur sa pag-ban sa entry diri sa Davao City sa ilang live hogs and pork and meat products. Wala na nato gihulat ang results sa test ug giapil nato ug ban derecho ang Davao del Sur to protect the hog farmers and industry in Davao City,” she said.

The ASF has also reportedly spread to nearby Malita town in Davao Occidental. It was in Don Marcelino where the disease had initially been reported.

Although, ASF is not harmful to humans, the city government intends to keep the city ASF-free. She also urged the backyard hog raisers to refrain from swill-feeding in their areas.

“Giawhag nato ang suporta sa atoang mga backyard hog farmers nga very dangerous ang kanang magpakaon ug lamaw nga mga pork related products sa mga baboy nga wala ta kabalo nga nag-positive sa ASF,” she said.  

Mayor Duterte also cited adverse effects of ASF to the industry as it lowers down the supply in the city and prices of pork related products are expected to shoot up.

She also called out on Dabawenyos to follow the guidelines issued by the City Veterinarian Office with regards to ASF.

Prior to the latest order, Mayor Duterte issued an executive order temporarily banning live pigs and pork products from all areas of Luzon and from countries affected by the ASF in September last year.

“Kaniadto pa duna na ta’y ban sa Luzon and then karon gi-expand nato siya sa mga pork and live pigs from Davao Occidental and Davao del Sur.
She also said that personnel is now being deployed at the checkpoints manned by Task Force Davao (TFD) to ensure that there are no live pigs and pork related products transported in Davao City.

Meanwhile, Governor Claude Bautista of Davao Occidental confirmed the implementation of total lockdown in the province after 1,000 pigs have been affected by ASF in Don Marcelino.

In an interview, Bautista said they are now doing an investigation why it took the municipality of Don Marcelino too long in discovering the ASF.
He also said the culling of the 1,000 pigs started yesterday (Feb. 3) and will be buried in a burial site in Don Marcelino so as not to spread the virus in other areas.

“The DA has issued an advisory already that the culled pigs should be bury from seven to 12 feet deep,” Bautista said.

Davao Occidental wants total ban of meat products even in the market unless these have veterinary certificates. Bautista said he will gather and meet all barangay officials including barangay kagawads. He said barangay kagawads will be created into a task force and their task is to immediately identify areas where there is still occurrence of ASF in the province.

“Mag-geotagging na sila sugod karon then ang mag-supervise ang DA ug naay mga tao sa probinsiya na muuban sa ilahang pag identify. Ang among ginaiwasan kung dili mahibaw-an sa tao nga bayaran ilang baboy basin ipangtago nila unya pagtuo nato ug limpyo na unya mubalik na pud kay naay mga baboy nga wala nakita.

He said the only way to contain the outbreak is to buy all the pigs present in the province as contingency plan. Bautista said the Province is offering to buy all the pigs voluntarily surrendered by the owners to totally eliminate the problem of ASF in the province.   

“Ang bayad magdepende sa kilo sa baboy, depende sa kadako. Katong mga affected na mga baboy ang DA na ang mubayad ato nila,” the governor said.