Davao City acting Mayor Sebastian “Baste” Duterte said the preemptive evacuation order of the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) is the best option in times of flash floods as he justified its implementation in last week’s flooding in the city.
“When we say evacuate, you evacuate because we still don’t have enough resources for an immediate equipment augmentation,” Duterte said.
The vice mayor, during the Sanguniang Panglungsod media forum held on Wednesday, September 4 at the SP Lounge, said it is important to push the implementation of preemptive evacuation protocol to ensure the safety of residents especially during heavy rains that can cause flash floods.
Duterte appealed to the public to cooperate with the responders when asked to evacuate to avoid delays.
“Unta kapag naay mga preemptive evacuation, they have to cooperate because if they will not, we will force them, kung pwede kargahon pa namo sila kay dili nato gusto muabot sa punto nga ma stranded ang mga tao,” he explained.
His appeal came after personally witnessing the dangers of the flashflood when he visited one of the said areas in Bangkal last week.
“Dangerous jud siya kay since flash flood man siya. Dili nato malikayan naay ma kuryentehan ba, ma anod, o malumos so mao gyud na akoang gina emphasize karon ang preemptive evacuation,” Duterte said.
He, however, understands the people’s sentiments who feared of losing their property left unattended upon evacuating. But Duterte insisted to follow the authorities as they only want to impose the safety of the people.
Duterte, meanwhile, expressed his gratitude to all the responders of the recent flood.
He also reminded the people to be vigilant, cooperative and prepared for calamities to come.